Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Summer Woes and Whoas

UGH Jester is fighting habronemiasis again... 2 lesions on the head, one on a foreleg. If you are not squeamish try an image search. I am using every method I know to control them, and I'm winning on one of three so far. The leg :). Here is a partial list of the remedies he has been receiving-oral: ivermectin, Apple Cider Vinegar, bute. Topical: Fresh Aloe Vera, fresh onion, fresh crushed garlic, NuStock, Biozide gel, Banixx (worked great on the leg to knock down the inflammation), NoThrush, DE, SWAT, leg wraps, clay poultice, ice packs, Homemade fly spray with Avon SSS, ACV, water, eucalyptus oil, and tried adding garlic juice too. ACV is providing some systemic relief. Keeping the flies out of the face lesions is the toughest challenge. I HATE oozy proudfleshy bloody gooey wounds that don't want to heal! Apparently so does he, since he walks off every time he sees me coming with something new in my hands. Did I mention his eyes are off and on gooey too? Summer is definitely not his best time :( Hoofwise, I am somewhat stumped. Every time I back up the flared forward toes, he loses all concavity at the tip of the frog and flattens out and gets gimpy. On go the boots again. Just on the fores, fortunately, and once booted, he's good to go, even riding! It takes him some warming up to be able to hold a lope, he isn't getting much work above a jog these days. It is rather sizzling out!

No comments:

Post a Comment